Need Nature-Connected Adults
Educational Trainings for Our Times
Note: Video footage is from 2019 training. Current trainings are designed to meet Covid regulations.
“The Beauty and Workings of Nature”
Thurs. June 8th,
Online, 6pm – 9pm
Sat. June 10th,
In-Person, 9am – 5pm
at Marydell, Nyack
Please join us as we explore the beauty and workings of the world around us, as well as our world views that shape our experiences. We will consider the importance of beauty, and also how to teach with beauty as a basis for shared experience.
We will highlight the intersections of art and science, and discuss how we learn about the workings of the world; from reading and writing, to hands-on learning, to mindfulness and shared intentions as ways to participate in the “way things work”.
With this all, we will explore the role of art-making in perceiving and responding to the beauty and the workings of the natural world for enhancing the quality of our lives, our teachings and practices, and giving us new tools for imagining!
For teachers, artists, parents, youth leaders, community builders, healing arts practitioners, and all who are looking to deepen their nature connection and guide others in creative learning experiences.
- $140 / participant (includes materials and light snack, plus mentorship phone call with Director Laurie Seeman)
- Sliding scale and scholarships available for eligible applicants. Please inquire at email@example.com
- Please note this workshop involves walking on easy-to-moderate nature trails. Please contact us regarding accessibility and accommodations.
- Sponsored in part by the Joseph Robert Foundation.
Space is limited! Apply & Register today
Application form and registration link below.
Registration closes May 26th.
“To see, to feel the lessons in action is transformative. It was informative as it was restorative.” -Stewart L, participant
About Strawtown Educator Trainings
Now more than ever, there is a calling for caring, trained adults to guide children safely outdoors and provide simple creative activities that help them grow and thrive.
If you love nature, art, and children, welcome to the Strawtown teaching community network. You are needed!
Learn how to create the Nature Art experiences so that more children can find themselves…
- in nature
- in creative expression
- in community
- in making a difference
Join us and learn from the innovative Strawtown teaching team, led by Founder/Director Laurie Seeman and Program Director Joanna Dickey (Who We Are). Gain inspiration, tools, confidence, and on-going support with the teaching network. You will be able to quickly provide the creative nature-connection experiences wherever you are!
“The multi-dimensional thinking is a well-spring for teaching.”
– Participant from Facilitator Training, Nov. 2019
For all who are looking to bring children and groups of all ages into a natural, holistic world of learning:
- educators / program facilitators
- teaching artists / creatives
- parents / grandparents
- youth & community center leaders
Gain insights from our 20+ years of leading nature art programs and developing the place-based education method that children love. In this Strawtown Facilitator Training, you will learn how to integrate the worlds of nature, art and science into fascinating lessons that keep children’s authentic love of learning alive.
Return to your learning group, classroom, organization, or family inspired with new perspectives, practices, materials, and a deeper connection with the natural world.
Trainings and Workshops Cover:
- Introduction to the Strawtown principles and methods
- Developing nature appreciation and seeing the world through an artistic lens
- Orienting for place-based education
- Setting up outdoor studios and bringing nature into the home/classroom
- Establishing safety practices
- Encouraging children’s curiosity, skills, and discoveries
- Mentoring children through attentive teaching and dialogue
- Harvesting natural materials and combining with fine art supplies, tools and techniques
- Cultivating creative community relationships
“Working with you is one of the things that most influenced my teaching… Give attention to the moment and magical things happen.”
-Lorraine M., Teacher, Blue Rock School
1- Application & Phone call:
Please complete the form below, and you’ll hear back from us as soon as possible to set up a phone conversation.
2- Workshop Registration:
If you have already filled out this application and had an intake phone call in the past, you can bypass and REGISTER HERE.
"*" indicates required fields